Welcome to the Elk Grove Citizen"s Official Kings Blog

Welcome Kings fans to Elk Grove's main resource for on and off court black and purple persuasion. I am a reporter for the Elk Grove Citizen Newspaper. I cover government, mainly the City Council and Planning Commission. Other than following the issues Elk Grove currently faces, I enjoy following the Sacramento Kings. I have been a fan for many years and look forward to bringing you up-to-date analysis on the team. Please feel free to subscribe and receive email notifications of when a new blog is posted. To subscribe click the "Posts (Atom)" button at the bottom of the page. Also check out blogs from other members of the Elk Grove Citizen staff, forums and this week's headlines at www.egcitizen.com

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Double overtime win, double the disappointing fans

I attended the game last night against the New York Knicks, and I must say, I was highly entertained. How about you?

Granted these teams aren't exactly the best of both worlds, I didn't expect much, but for $10 why not? The fans are becoming more and more disappointing, but I will get to that later. A double overtime game, it was quite the thriller with the Knicks having two chances to beat the Kings at the buzzer but the defense of Ron Artest against the much heavier Eddy Curry prevailing.

Say what you will about the record of this team, these guys are improving. This was a game they should have won and they did what they had to do to get it done. Coach Reggie Theus made some timely substitutions and adjustments, aside from a timeout at the end of the game when I think he should have let K-Mart drive to the bucket.

Martin scored a career high 43 points, and while he is keeping me competitive in my fantasy league, he is also staying competitive in the All-Star ballots. Any player who is in the top 4 in league scoring is going to be a major candidate for the All-Star team. Enough with the individual accolades though, this is about the team as a whole.

As I expected, the addition of Beno Udrih and the return of Ron has given the team a huge boost. Again, I'm not saying that we should expect the playoffs, but at least Reggie has them competing and protecting their home court.

Now to the fans, or better yet, what fans? What is up you loyal thumpers? Did you guys forget how horrible the Kings were for all of those years before Vlade and Chris came? You weren't sitting on your hands then, let alone leaving after the end of regulation going into overtime!

The minute the buzzer went off at the end of the 4th quarter (on a Friday night mind you) the rows were filled with fans heading for the exits. Now unless they didn't know how basketball works and thought the game just ended in a tie, they decided that leaving would be a better option than watching 10 more minutes of basketball.

I understand that you got used to winning and are stubborn now blah blah, but that's just not how professional sports work folks. You have good times and you have rebuilding years. The best you can hope for during rebuilding is effort and enthusiasm and that is exactly what this group brings to the court.

I think it's time for a chant...ready? When I say "Fair!" you say "Weathers!"

No comments: